Scholarship Information Session HANDOUT
Northview-Sponsored Application FORM
Requesting Reference Letter from a Teacher Worksheet
IMPORTANT LORAN SCHOLARSHIP INFO - SEPT. 2018
OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program) -
If you qualify, you can receive government Grants (money you keep) and/or government loans (with competitive interest rates that do not accumulate interest until after you graduate); Use the OSAP Aid Estimator to see if you may be eligible.
For the 2018-19 school year, our OSAP Presentation will take place on March 6, 2019 at 6pm.
March 6th, 2019 OSAP INFORMATION Session:
Click HERE for link for similar presentation by James Walker (Manager of Student Financial Services at University of Guelph-Humber). The information is applicable to students applying in any OSAP approved program at university, college or apprenticeship.
How to apply for OSAP video - Click HERE
- Choose to start your OSAP application while applying to OUAC (University) or OCAS (College). By doing this, your information will be transferred automatically to your OSAP application. If you miss this, you can still apply from the OSAP website: www.osap.gov.on.ca
- Work on filling out the application in May. You will need your parents' income from their tax return as well as their SIN (Social Insurance Number).
- Submit completed OSAP application in early June
- Submit all required documents (you will be emailed) by the end of June or very early July so that your money is ready when you start school in September!
POST-SECONDARY FINANCIAL SUPPORT
There are different ways to fund your post secondary education. You need to learn about how student loans, grants, bursaries, and scholarships can help you pay your way through college or university. Whatever your needs, finding out your options could make a significant difference to your bank balance at the end of your studies.
GRANT, BURSARY and LOAN information is near the bottom of this page.
Scholarships, Bursaries, Loans and Awards, what's the difference?
Scholarships provide money that does not need to be paid back and are usually awarded based on merit.
Which scholarships are appropriate for me?
- Join yconic.com , formerly Student Awards, and they will do the work to match you with the right scholarships.
- Join www.scholarshipscanada.com to get matched with a databank of thousands of awards worth millions of dollar
- Seeking Scholarships: http://seekingscholarships.com/
- Join www.scholartree.ca to get matched with many potential scholarships.
Where else can I search for scholarships?
Scholarship Tree has created an Excel personal budget template for you to download
- a useful tool that will help students plan financially for post-secondary education:
https://static.scholartree.ca/resources/school_year_budget_planner.xlsxFind a Scholarship Search Tool on SchoolFinder.com
- www.osca.ca (Under "Students" look at "What are my plans for getting there?" then choose 'Scholarships & Financial Aid' and 'Financial Planning')
- Check the individual university and college websites
- Check with your parents’ workplace
- www.disabilityawards.ca (Scholarships for students with disabilities)
- www.petersons.com (For scholarships in the United States)
- In the U.S., they say 'college' for what we call 'university'. They say 'community college' for what we call 'college'.
- www.fastweb.com (For scholarships in the United States)
- Scholarships for International Students
Where can I find help to plan my finances for my post-secondary studies?
- Get Smarter About Money . ca
COMPILED LIST OF SCHOLARSHIPS
These are scholarships that Northview has received a mailing for either this year or in the past years.
These include scholarships where the school is only allowed to nominate a limited number of students for consideration.
Please use the above websites as your main source of scholarships.
Follow the links to go directly to the websites to find out the actual
due dates for each of the scholarships listed.
Scholarship listed with an asterisk (*), indicates that the application must be submitted to the Guidance Office at least two weeks prior to the official deadline due to the fact that the school can only nominate a limited number of candidates. Students who want to apply to be nominated/sponsored by the school must fill out this Northview-Sponsored Application FORM and submit to Ms. Dobbin in Guidance.
Scholarship criteria and deadlines can change from year to year. Students and parents are advised to go directly to the individual website for updates.
Assume that the due date means that the application must arrive by that date, unless otherwise specifically stated on the website or application. So, be sure to start early on your applications - deadlines are ABSOLUTE!
MONTHLY contest - win $1500; topic - Why Unions Matter Creativity encouraged!!!
*Loran Award (Formerly known as the Can. Merit Schol. Foundation National Award)* - May apply to the 'Sponsored Pool' OR the 'Direct Pool'. Each high school is allowed to sponsor up to three candidates.
Student must fill out a 'Northview-Sponsored Scholarship Application Form' and hand in to Mr. Johnston before October 13th 2018 to be considered for the Sponsored Pool. Download the Northview-Sponsored Scholarship Application form HERE.
*U. of Toronto National Book Award * and The National Scholarship Program
READ INFO. CAREFULLY ON WEBSITE! ONE nomination per school allowed for the Book Award - students may also apply directly for the National Scholarship.
- To be considered for the one nomination, fill out this FORM and submit to Mr. Johnston by October 22, 2018. Students will be notified by October 29th whether or not they have been selected to be nominated by Northview.
Horatio Alger Association
The Horatio Alger Association of Canada provides $650,000 annually in need-based scholarship support for deserving students in all Canadian provinces and territories. Scholarships of up to $10,000 are awarded to full-time students in their terminal year of high school with financial need (family income under $65,000) who have demonstrated integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity, a commitment to pursue a post-secondary education, a desire to contribute to society, and a good academic record.
YWCA Women of Distinction Awards (early November) -- someone who knows you needs to fill out a nomination form -- PLAN AHEAD
OSSTF Provincial Student Achievement Awards-Eight $1,000 prizes to be won! - Open to all grades.
The W. Garfield Weston Foundation/Tine Stewart Bursary $20,000
TD Canada Trust Schol. For Community Leadership
Toromont CAT Scholarship @ Sir Sanford Fleming College
Queen’s University Chancellor's Scholarship
TWO nominations are allowed for Northview (Min. average – 90%); Fill out the Northview-Sponsored Scholarship Application FORM and submit to Ms. Dobbin in Guidance by November 16th, 2018. Applicants will be notified by November 23rd whether or not they have been selected to be nominated by Northview.
Prospective Educator Scholarship
Burger King Scholars Program
* Schulich Leader Scholarships * (STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) (not medical related fields) ONE nomination per high school allowed. Please go to the FAQ section on the Schulich Scholarship website and read over the 'Who is eligible to receive the scholarship?' section in order to determine if you should apply. Fill out the Northview-Sponsored Scholarship Application FORM and submit to Ms. Dobbin in Guidance by January 15th, 2019. Applicant's will be notified by January 22nd whether or not they have been selected to be nominated by Northview.
The STEAM Horizon Awards - due in early January
Invites Canada’s youth to promote positive changes throughout
their community using science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM).
Western National Scholarship Program
(The online application and updated documentation will be available in mid-November 2018.)
Up to four nominations allowed per school PLUS one nomination of an International Visa student. You must be applying to Western University to be considered. Min. average on all Grade 12 U/M courses: 90%; Complete and hand in the Northview-Sponsored Application FORM by January 31, 2019 to be considered for a school nomination. Students will be notified by February 5th whether or not they have been selected.
Lieutenant Governor's Community Volunteer Awards for Students
ONE student in each Ontario secondary school is recognized for their volunteerism above and beyond
Ontario - Honours & Awards
CHFT Diversity Scholarships
The Harry Jerome Awards (must be living in housing co-op)
Future Aces (Herbert H. Carnegie)
Top 20 Under Twenty
Terry Fox Humanitarian Award Program
RBC Royal Bank Scholarships
Louise Russo Youth Awards
J.V. Findlay Scholarship (Health & Safety)
A.B.L.E. (Association of Black Law Enforcers) Scholarship Program for those planning on studying law enforcement related programs; Selection Criteria
Allan Simpson Educational Fund Awards (Click here to download the application.)
CIBC Youthvision Scholarship Program - For Grade 10 students (60% avg. min) who have a Big Sister / Big Brother of Canada or a mentor from YMCA Canada. Up to $4,000 per year for 4 years of post-secondary education plus up to $2000 per summer while in high school. Talk to your Big Brother / Sister or mentor if you're interested in applying.
CIBC Access Awards and MBA Awards
Teachers Life Scholarships: Children/grandchildren of active Teachers Life Members can apply
if attending university or Teachers College in the fall.
Investing in Our Diversity Scholarship Program recognizes the commitment of young people involved in anti-racism, diversity initiatives and building safe and healthy communities
The Rotary Club of Toronto (Application)
Toronto Real Estate Board -- Past President's Scholarship
Scadding Court Community Centre -- Diversity Scholarships
W. Garfield Weston Awards
The Wiesenthal Scholarship
National Union Scholarships - different scholarships available - $1500 each; all applicants must be child or grandchild (including foster child/grandchild) of National Union of Public and General Employees; Separate scholarship categories include:
1. entering post secondary school for policing, criminal justice, community services or health care
2. person of colour
6. child/grandchild of National Union of Public and General Employees
FILIPINO STUDENT AWARDS (Filipino Centre Toronto - FCT 2018 Outstanding Students Awards) Application
Bill 7 Award
The Bill 7 Award is a registered charitable trust that awards scholarships to gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans, two-spirited and queer students who are in financial need and studying at any post-secondary institution in Ontario to attain their first degree or diploma.
Lincoln M. Alexander Award
This award is given to young people who have shown strong leadership in eliminating racial discrimination. Three awards are given out each year: two Student Awards and one Community Award.
Deadline: May 31 2018
Global Citizenship Program Scholarship (ESL students would benefit the most from this program)
Full scholarships for the Global Citizenship Program (GCP) will be offered to select individuals for July and August. Scholarships will be awarded to students based on:
Interest in Global Citizenship Topics
Students in Grades 10 & 11
Canadian Citizenship or Canadian Permanent Residency